A clearing agency is an agency licenced to transact any business related to the goods entrance or exit.
Basing on the Customs law, importers are obliged to engage customs clearing agencies for clearance services. In a bid to streamline the clearing and forwarding industry, the law sets minimum requirements for licensing the clearing agencies.
Customs Agent assist in the transaction of any business relating to the entrance or clearance of any conveyance or the import or export of goods or baggage in Customs.
Requirement for Licensing of Clearing Agencies
- Online application in RESW
- Valid tenancy agreement for Suitable office accommodation or proof of ownership
- Memorandum and articles of association
- Certificate of business registration
- Company and Director’s TIN
- Copies of IDs/Passports of the directors and staff
- Recent passport size photo of directors and staff
- Valid Bank or Insurance guarantee of a minimum fee of 150,000,000RWF for Transit and Customs operations
- Current tax clearance certificate of the company
- Proof of possession of a bank account & bank account details
- Proof of affiliation to a recognized clearing and forwarding association
- Physical address and telephone
- An official post office box
- E-mail address for the company
- Having at least two employees in charge of clearance with a diploma in customs training
- Possess at least 2 computers connected to Customs systems
- Uniform with a company logo for each staff
- Proof of VAT registration
- The director must possess a Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced diploma in Management or related field with minimum of 2 years of experience in Customs Clearing or have A lever with a certificate in Customs training plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in clearing
- A Criminal Record Clearance Certificate for the director and the staff
- Valid employment contract for the director and the staff
- C.V. for the director and the staff
- A letter of recommendation from the former employer for a staff changing to another Clearing Agency.
Note: The license is valid from 1 to 3 years as provided by the law